Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Day in the Life of an Information Processing Chid

After reading and watching the posted video-clips, it is obvious to me why Direct Instruction isn't enough in the classroom. The Long Island Children's Museum video actually brought tears to my eyes for some reason. I loved the look on the children's faces when they could touch, smell and be a part of the learning. Unfortunately, when I was a child I don't ever remember many places like that. It seems to me it was more like, "Do this because I said so and don't touch that." What amazing discoveries children can experience today! By allowing children to actively construct their own knowledge, they learn! The teacher's role as a guide on the side as they engage, explore, explain, elaborate and evaluate together with the student, allows them to build on prior knowledge and experience new understandings. We all learn by modifying our knowledge. However, when we use the IPM, learning becomes an evolving process that we build on. There is no way that Direct Instruction could touch or affect children the way the IPM does.

1 comment:

  1. Sally...I agree with you in that I don't remember getting to go to all of these interactive museums when I was a student. One thing I think teachers need to take into consideration today is the school budget. Some schools, and parents, may not be able to afford to send their students to these places on field trips. Due to this, I think it should be some of the teacher's responsibility to be able to provide this kind of learning in the classroom. Not every lesson needs to be Direct Instruction. Some teachers need to understand that it's okay to let students get out of their seats and explore.

    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete