Thursday, March 4, 2010

By George...I think I've Got It!

State and National Standards was the topic tonight. Through quick memorization and funny phrases, our group was able to come up with a "device" for learning the Social Studies Standards.

Standard 1: History of US and NY
One Nation Under God

Standard 2: World History
Two Worlds Apart

Standard 3: Geography
1, 2, 3, G-O!

Standard 4: Economics
A $4 bill doesn't exist!

Standard 5: Civic Citizenship & Government
Five people driving in a civic to apply for citizenship at the government center

I tried repeating these on the drive home and was amazed that I remembered each and every one of them.

Through discussions tonight with regard to the design of the Unit Plan, I realize that in order to figure out the level which the student is at, you must see where they came from. In order to not go above their level, you must also study the standards for the higher grade so that you teach them accordingly. Key ideas name the goals you intend for your student to reach while the performance indicators are more like objectives. Something clicked tonight and things started to become a bit clearer. I'm hoping that I can pull the appropriate ideas from the State and National Standards and make them coincide with each other and also be in sync with my intentions. A tough task but I think once it's done I can say without any reservations that I've Got It!!

No comments:

Post a Comment