Saturday, July 24, 2010

Starting a Trend in 2010: Generation Text Newsletter


Communication is important between teachers and parents because the difficulties that the student is having are exposed. Those difficulties can then be focused and improved on. Communication is also important because the teacher, student and parents share the understanding of goals in the curriculum. The parents are also able to let the teacher know about the student's interests, needs and areas of concern. Communication is key because it lets the parents and teachers know what is going on in their child's/student's life.

I would like to offer many forms of communication with my students' parents. I will definitely use some form of weekly newsletter. I was a bit disappointed with Letterpop this time. The formatting became a problem because it wouldn't let me view the whole column.

I'm a little unsure of using tools such as email. I would want parents to understand that the answers may not be immediate. My top priority would be to my students. Throughout the school year, it seems that Engrade would also be a good form of communication because the parents would be able to view everything themselves, and then contact me with specific questions. I found that Engrade does have some very useful tools, and in the next few years, I think all the minor kinks could be worked out.

The software we used for this project was Letterpop. We chose it because I think I persuaded everyone how cool it was. The collaboration was easy because our group did it through Google Docs, however, Letterpop does not provide for group work like a Wiki. I would definitely give all the other newsletter sites a test run to see which one worked the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment