Saturday, July 24, 2010

Netiquette



There is a long list of tips on how to avoid hurting someone's feelings on the internet. However, I feel that the best advice is write ONLY what you would say to someone's face. Words on a page cannot show emotion and you have to remember to add little emoticons if you want to make sure someone knows you're joking.

The internet is such a "public" place that what you say or write could get into the wrong hands. My best advice is to treat people the way that you would like to be treated, and remember everything that you publish on the internet never goes away, it just floats around in internet space.

1 comment:

  1. Sally,
    Your advice "Treat people the way that you would like to be treated" is a quote in my house and I will be taking that quote into my classroom. As parents we try to teach our children and as teachers to manners and common curiosity. Now we will have to start teaching etiquette on the computer/internet. Children are starting to not show respect anymore, this is ashame. Now we have to start teaching them how to "act" on the computer when they do not show it in real life. Any suggestions on how we as future teacher's are going to do this and have it work? I am still stunded when I go into classrooms and students forget how to say "Please" and "Thank You".

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete